Maidstone United 2-2 Barnet FA Trophy match report

Maidstone’s dream at Wembley was over after they lost to Barnet on penalties in the FA Trophy quarter-final.

The tie went down to the wire after a 2-2 draw at Gallagher Stadium, with the Bees winning 4-3 on spot shots.

Maidstone United acting boss George Elokobi. Image: Steve Terrell

Scoring from a penalty in regulation time, Sol Wanjau-Smith hit the crossbar in the shootout and Jack Barham’s shot was saved.

Roarie Deacon gave Maidstone an early lead, but goals from Finley Potter and David Moyo put Barnet in front before half-time.

Wanjau-Smith’s Panenka penalty leveled United and United made a great start to the second half but, with no further goals, the tie went to penalties.


Bivesh Gurung was rewarded for his brilliant appearance as a midweek substitute at Wealdstone with a start as caretaker boss George Elokobi made two changes.

Former Barnet player Mark Marshall also made the team, with Tushaun Walters and James Alabi as players to break through.

The FA Trophy has kept Maidstone’s season alive as the team hurtle towards relegation from the National League and that’s reflected in a lively atmosphere in the build-up to kick-off.

Optimism rose further as the Stones took the lead with one of their early attacks, but with the hosts vulnerable from balls into the box, the Bees turned the tables to lead at half time.

Maidstone took the lead in the 15th minute with a hard-worked goal.

Josh Shonibare ran for a ball down the right channel and fed it inside to George Fowler, who in turn positioned Deacon in the box.


Deacon’s opening goal gave Laurie Walker no chance, but the Stones forward got hurt in the process and eventually left before halftime.

The lead lasted just eight minutes, with Potter being treated to a simple header from Ryan De Havilland’s corner.

Marshall volleyed wide from a Shonibare cross and drove an effort just past the post as Maidstone threatened to retake the lead.

But Maidstone looked shaky at the back and went down 2-1 on 37 minutes.

The ball went back in after Sam Beard’s corner was partly cleared and while Dan Barden made a good save to Potter, the loose ball was finished off by Moyo.

Barnet substitute Nicke Kambamba had the ball in the net just before half time after Barden fumbled the ball on the edge of his own box, but the linesman’s flag was raised for a foul on the Barnet keeper. the Stones.

Maidstone earned their first three corners of the tie in a brilliant start to the second half.

They threatened from the second, with Sam Bone’s header blocked after Dominic Odusanya headed the ball back through the goal.

Elokobi’s men equalized in the 53rd minute after Wanjau-Smith was fouled inside the area.

He quickly grabbed the ball, determined to score his first goal for the Stones, and lobbed it in style with an icy Panenka-style penalty up the middle.

Barham fired with a shot at the turn at halfway through the half as Maidstone continued to take the game to the Bees.

There was little action at the goal mouth in the last 20 minutes, with penalties looking the most likely outcome.

Regan Booty, Dominic Odusanya and Shonibare were Maidstone’s successful penalty takers.

Harry Pritchard, Kabamba, de Havilland and Idris Kanu scored Barnet’s penalties.

Maidstone: Barden, Fowler, Jobe, Bone, Binnom-Williams, Odusanya, Gurung (Alabi 85 minutes), Deacon (Wanjau-Smith 38 minutes), Shonibare, Barham, Marshall (Booty 60 minutes). Unused Subs: Mersin, Hoyte, Brown, Jeche.

barnett: Walker, Potter, Okimo, Kanu, Pritchard, Moyo (Loza 81 minutes), Beard, Woods (Armstrong 65 minutes), H Smith (Kamamba 6 minutes), Cropper, De Havilland. Substitutes: Hall, Callan, C Smith, Diarra.

Referee: Aaron Jackson.

Attendance: 2,120 (437 out).


Leave a Reply