The interesting information for you and your family

      REPORT: Stanley 0 Wycombe Wanderers 2 – News

      ByMonelo Gabriel

      Feb 14, 2023

      Accrington Stanley fought to the last, but lost 2–0 to promotion-seeking Wycombe Wanderers at Wham Stadium.

      Stanley was lively and former Reds loan goalkeeper Max Stryjek did well to keep the Reds away on several occasions, but Josh Scowen’s first half goal and Garath McCleary’s 90he minute of effort showed the difference.

      It was the fourth successive League One win for Gareth Ainsworth’s side, but Stanley will believe they have a lot to build on, especially as they created a wealth of chances that manager John Coleman had demanded.

      It also saw a welcome return to action for a couple of players as they returned from injury.

      Coleman kept the same team that drew 0-0 with Cheltenham but Stanley’s bench saw the return of the experienced Michael Nottingham and Seamus Conneely.

      Aaron Pressley had an early looping header to test Stryjek while, at the other end, Lukas Jensen did well to keep Brandon Hanlan out in a lively opening.

      Wycombe opened the scoring on 18 minutes when Jason McCarthy’s cross was blocked by Mo Sangare and went off to Josh Scowen on the edge of the box who ran to the ball and finished it off.

      Sean McConville put the ball into the net in the 28th minute, tapping in Rosaire Longelo’s cross, but it was ruled offside.

      Sam Vokes forced Jensen into a dive save and Lewis Wing’s long-range shot sailed over the bar for the visitors.

      The lively Longelo and Liam Coyle couldn’t find the target with their efforts as Stanley pushed for an equalizer before half-time.

      After the restart, Stanley started well with Longelo’s shot deflecting just past Stryjek and Pressley’s shot going wide of goal.

      Tommy Leigh came off the bench on 50 minutes to increase the Reds’ attacking options, but it was Wycombe who came close as Hanlan ran in, but was denied by Jensen’s legs.

      Chem Campbell shot wide in a good position as the game went from wire to wire.

      In the 59th minute, Stryjek made a superb double save to shut out Shaun Whalley and then Leigh as Stanley came close to equalizing.

      The Reds built up a head of steam as they pressed around the Wanderers box and it was a welcome return to the field for Nottingham and Mitch Clark, who came on 71 minutes.

      Former Stanley defender Joe Jacobson received a free kick deflected into the roof of the net while, at the other end, Pressley’s 84th-minute goal went straight to Stryjek.

      In the 90th minute, Wycombe broke through and substitute McCleary put the ball between Jensen’s legs to clinch the game.

      Stanley: Jensen, Fernandes, Pickles (Nottingham), Sangare (Butler-Oyedeji), Longelo, Coyle, Martin (Leigh), McConville (Clark), Quirk, Whalley, Pressley

      Substitutes: Isherwood, Conneely, Woods

      Yellow: Sangare, Coyle

      Crowd: 1900 (201 #wwfc)


      Leave a Reply

      Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *